It's no secret that I love to dance. My playlists are FULL of catchy, upbeat jams and I can't help but wiggle in my seat as I sit in my home office and edit wedding pictures. Whether or not people realize it, I spend anywhere between 15-25% of the wedding day photographing people dancing. I doubt any wedding photographer goes into the industry thinking that dancing pictures are their TOP priority, but we all document it. We see it all... the good, the hilarious... and yes, even the awkward. As tired as I usually am by the end of a wedding day, nothing keeps me more energized like upbeat music and, to top it off, everyone around me is having a BLAST. So it's my pleasure to document it and usually, if I'm lucky, I come out with one or two shots from every reception that I just adore.
This past weekend I shot my 20th wedding (woohoo!) so to celebrate, I thought I'd share my top 10 favorite dancing pictures that I have shot so far in my career. Enjoy!
10. Melissa and David's Wedding - This shot was kind of an accident. I wasn't intending to take a headless portrait, but somehow this shot worked, and I loved it! I really love the movement in her necklace and even though you can see this guest's face, you can tell she is having a good time!
9. Bonnie and Shane's Wedding - Nothing is cuter than a father playing with his children. I was so blown away by the energy this young dad had when following his children around the reception all night. This is a high-flyin' moment I love, especially because they are looking right at each other.
8. Lauren and Matt's Wedding - I love it when children are active on the dancefloor, and this little girl was moving and shaking all night long! She later caught the bouquet and to say she was excited would be a severe understatement.
7. Colleen and Ryan's Wedding - I love when I catch people singing along to their favorite hit, but this one takes the cake. Anyone who uses a fork as a microphone is a winner in my book!
6. Teryn & Matt's Wedding - A bride and groom do their best to make their rounds during a reception to see all the guests, but sometimes they even have the opportunity to dance with someone other than their new spouse. This moment between the groom and the flower girl is simply precious!
5. Johanna and Chris' Wedding - A girl after my own heart. As a Michael Jackson fanatic, this move simply made my day!
4. Danielle and Braxton's Wedding - I might be a little biased because I know every single person in this picture (including my husband, who was a guest at this wedding!) but it still cracks me up. Jason, the man in the middle, is a new staff member at our church, and Matt, Yoony, and Kyle really wanted to get him on the dance floor. Sometimes you just have to pull out all the moves.
3. Angel and AJ's Wedding - The dancing at this wedding was pretty much the greatest thing ever, so picking one moment was tough, but this one definitely stood out to me. AJ's fraternity did a presentation for the newlywed, which included their fraternity dance. The floor was literally shaking - it was amazing.
2. Thea and Aaron's Wedding - Matt and I have seen quite a few receptions now where the guys pick up the groom and toss him around, but nothing sticks out in my mind more than seeing Aaron flying high in the air at his reception.
1. Colleen and Ryan's Wedding - This is my favorite dancing picture I've ever shot so far. To me, it's the ultimate party shot... I just love it!
I loved making this list, but I am hoping I will keep adding more fun moments to my top dancing pictures! There are more weddings to come, I can't wait!